Monday, December 11, 2006

Last Night In Taipei






Last night I said farewell to my new friends here in Taiwan: Kyle, Eva, and their son Nathan. I met them when I first arrived in Taipei, sleep-deprived, disoriented, and somewhat overwhelmed. Kyle and Eva were full of helpful advice for me. They run a convenience store near my hotel. Their store is way cheaper than Seven-Eleven, with superior customer service. When I broke the alarm clock I bought from them, Kyle took it apart and fixed it himself. Plus, I don't think Seven-Eleven sells bb gun ammo or high-end whiskey. Kyle does.

Little Nathan (eighteen months old) must be the happiest kid in Taiwan, if not the planet. I've never seen him without a smile on his face. Last night I saw him trip and fall on the sidewalk. It wasn't pretty. Most kids would have burst into tears. Nathan thought it was funny.

After Nathan went to bed, Kyle and I headed across the street for some Taiwan Beers (and this was after multiple shots of whiskey at his store). Notwithstanding the language barrier (we had always relied on his wife for translation), we had a lot of fun. It was a perfect cap to a fantastic stay in Taiwan.

No comments: